English teacher retires

Citing “politicizing of education,” Kathy Angers turns in her paperwork to retire from Hoover.

English teacher retires

By Anais Mardirosian, Staff Writer

Hoover’s long time English teacher, Kathy Angers, has retired. She is a Hoover graduate, and taught French and Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID). Angers was passionate and determined to not only teach her students, but to inspire them to be the best writers and people they can be. As a farewell, she answered some questions about her deparcher from Hoover.

How many years did you teach at Hoover?

Angers: “I have taught at Hoover for 35 years, French, AVID and English 9. I graduated from Hoover, both my children graduated from Hoover, and I always considered Hoover ‘my home-away-from-home.’”

What made you want to retire?

Angers: “I loved teaching and I had every intention of continuing indefinitely. It was very hard for me to make the decision to retire, but the politicizing of education, which infringed upon my deeply held core values and beliefs, and the last-minute governmental mandates handed down from the Board of Education, which take away one’s personal freedom of choice, compelled me make up my mind to retire. The classroom is hallowed ground, and the growing trends, politics and mandates in American education contradict my deeply held core values and beliefs.”

What is your fondest memory at Hoover?

Angers: “I will miss those ‘light-bulb moments’ when students have an epiphany, or a revelation, and they experience the deep satisfaction of turning knowledge into wisdom. I will miss laying the foundation and planting seeds for future generations.”

What will you miss most about Hoover?

Angers: “I am most grateful that I had a career that I loved and was passionate about. I have many fond and cherished memories of my students and colleagues who have shared in this adventure with me. I will miss taking 9th graders on the odyssey of freshman year, where on the journey they learned to become close analytical readers, substantive writers, articulate speakers, active listeners, and especially, critical thinkers.”

What final message do you have for your students?

Angers: “For all of those students who I taught these past 35 years, stay anchored to the rock of truth, virtue and principles; be aware of your self, your surroundings and others; be true to your core values and beliefs; use your critical thinking; be bold and courageous; and have ‘eyes that see and ears that hear.’ Who you are and who you become matters greatly.”