Spurley returns home

Former Hoover student named new principal.

Spurley returns home

After hearing about Dr. Jennifer Earl’s departure, many Hoover students and staff were wondering who would take her place.

Now, they have their answer.

Dr. Jeremy Spurley, a former Hoover High student, will become Hoover’s next principal, effective July 1, 2023.

“Hoover is a special place, rich in tradition,” Spurley answered in an email interview with the Tornado Times.

“I know first-hand how important your educational experience at Hoover is to prepare you to do well in whatever you do after high school. I am committed to ensuring that Hoover is a place that is welcoming for all students, focused on best preparing all students to be successful academically and socially, and a place that will provide students with lasting memories. Hoover has been around for nearly 100 years and I am thankful for the opportunity to continue the strong legacy built by all the students, families, staff and leadership of the past.”

Spurley graduated from Hoover in 2005, and attended Cal State Northridge immediately after graduating. He received his bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology in 2009, and completed his teaching credential and master’s degree at CSUN.

His education didn’t stop at CSUN.

“USC was always a dream university for me to attend. When I was given the opportunity to attend USC for my doctoral degree it was a dream come true,” Spurley stated.

He received his doctorate from USC in 2019.

Spurley played baseball all four years of high school, and some of his teachers from then are still at Hoover, such as science teacher Dale Lundin and boys’ basketball Coach Jack VanP atten.

“Those memories and relationships are the ones I still cherish. I also enjoyed all of my classes and interactions with my teachers who helped shape me into the person I am today,” Spurley wrote.

He stated he is most excited to work with the students and staff. He understands the importance of education is and what needs to be done.

“I am committed to ensuring that Hoover is a place that is welcoming for all students, focused on best preparing all students to be successful academically and socially, and a place that will provide students with lasting memories,” Spurley stated.

Although he is understandably nervous about becoming the new principal of Hoover, where he also served as a baseball coach in 2015, he is looking forward to doing everything he can to ensure all students and staff have the best possible learning experience.

“I know anytime there is a change causes some anxiety, which I feel too,” he said. “I know that once I am on campus, and get to meet with students and staff, a lot of that anxiety will go away. I am truly excited for the upcoming school year and all of the great things that will be happening on campus from what takes place in the classroom, to all of the sports, galleries, shows, and activities. It is these events that make what I get to do the best job in the world.”

Some of his goals for the school year include getting to know all students and staff.

“Building authentic relationships is a top priority of mine,” he wrote. “Second, I want to ensure that Hoover is a welcoming and inclusive school where all students feel respected and connected to the campus and each other.

“Third, to increase access to rigorous courses (like AP) for all students to increase our graduation and A-G completion rate for more students at Hoover.

“Fourth, to promote all of the extra-curricular programs so that students look forward to coming to school each day.

“There will be many more, but these four will be a top priority this upcoming school year until I get the chance to listen to the students, staff, and families and learn more about the school from their perspective.”