New counselor named

Araxi Dertavitian, a 1995 Hoover grad, replaces Ty Allen as the counselor for the Class of 2021

New counselor named

By Maria Akhverdyan, Staff Writer

As Hoover seniors begin to head down the corridor to graduation, they haved paused to wave goodbye to their counselor Maurice Allen, who has departed to a teaching position in another district. Hoover now welcomes Araxi Dertavitian to fulfill the imperative role of counselor, joining the seniors in the second semester. The Hoover graduate took time to introduce herself by answering the questions below, sharing her excitements and meaning of “Ohana.”  

When did you graduate from Hoover and how has Hoover changed over the years?

“I graduated from Hoover in 1995. One of the big changes I have noticed so far is how many more opportunities there are to explore different careers, and the various pathways available for students to develop their post-secondary plan. As a counselor that is really exciting to see.”

What made you want to return to Hoover as a counselor and is this your first counseling position? 

“Returning to Hoover as a counselor is really a full circle moment for me. I wanted to come back because I wanted to work within my community and give back to a school that gave me so much as a teen. Meeting the other counselors and administrators definitely helped solidify that decision. This is my first full-time post-graduate counseling position, but I have worked at several schools for the last three years as an intern, and in program development.”

Where did you attend for your degree?

“I earned both my Bachelor’s in Sociology, and my Masters in School Counseling from Cal State Northridge.”

What are you excited to discover within students at Hoover?

“I’m excited to discover and experience the broad talent of Hoover students. Whether it’s academics, art, athletics, or activism I know there is so much talent here.”

What fears do you have regarding the short time frame you have left with the seniors?

“Building a rapport with students is really central to the work I do as a counselor. It can be challenging to do that in a short period of time and under these extraordinary circumstances, but I have no doubt that it’s possible. I hope to communicate to the seniors that I am here to support them anyway I can.”

What do you hope to achieve in your initial semester at Hoover?

“I hope to build the trust of students so that they reach out if they need help. Connecting with students and families is going to be really important to me.”

What do you hope to add to Hoover’s environment? 

“I’m passionate about student advocacy and empowerment and look forward to helping students build the capacity to advocate for their needs.”

Hoover emphasizes the meaning of “Ohana,” we are family. How do you define the meaning of family and how do the students at Hoover fit your interpretation?

“I think family can be defined as a system of support, and it can be found in a variety of places. It’s the people in your life you can turn to that will accept you without judgment, and always have your best interest in mind. For students, that means they will always have a safe space with me.”