Sports allowed to return

Water polo, football, and girls’ volleyball, among other sports, will be allowed to be played.

Photo courtesy of the Glendale News-Press

The Hoover football team will be allowed to return to the field soon.

By Arvin Arakelian, Staff Writer

High school sports will be allowed to play, according to the latest update from the CIF. The threshold for sports being allowed to play in LA County is 14 Covid cases per 100,000 people, according to the California Department of Public Health. As of Tuesday, LA County has 12.3 cases per 100,000 people.

That means that CIF Sports, such as water polo, football, and girls’ volleyball, will be allowed to be played, with the seasons ending in April.

“After having not been playing volleyball for so long, coming back was a little strange to get used to at first, but it’s so much fun,” said Cailey Mirzajanyan, a junior on the Hoover girls’ volleyball team. “It’s definitely not the same as before with the daily three hour practices in the gym, but the accommodated practices are still gratifying.”

Her coach, Daniel Seranian, said it felt great knowing that his team will have an opportunity to play.

“These athletes have endured almost a year without sports and to give them some form of plays means a lot,” said Seranian. “Even if we only play one game, I’ll take it. It’s better than nothing. It’s been an exhausting and stressful journey for everyone so it’ll be nice to play, if we get the chance, one last time before the school year ends.”

Hoover football Coach Azad Herabidan couldn’t wait to tell his team about the opportunity.

Said Herabidian: “It feels great to be able to tell the kids that their hard work over the last eight months is going to pay off.”