Mardirosian advances to Masters Meet

Hoover senior places fifth in CIF Southern Section Southern Division in her weight class.

By Anais Mardirosian, Staff Writer

Hoover High senior wrestler Sarine Mardirosian is moving on to the Masters Meet. 

Mardirosian, the only girls’ wrestler for Hoover, won one of her two matches on Friday in the CIF Southern Section Southern Division Tournament at San Dimas High School. On the second day of the competition, she won three of her four matches to place fifth overall in the 101-pound division. 

Mardirosian had a strong season during her sophomore season. She advanced to the CIF Southern Section Masters Meet, falling during the blood-round of the consolation bracket at Roosevelt High, one win away from qualifying for the state tournament. 

The Masters Meet will take place Friday and Saturday at Marina High School. She hopes to place in the top eight, which would qualify her for the CIF State Championships. That would make her one of the top 32 girls in California in the 101-pound weight class. 

“I didn’t get to wrestle for more than a year because of Covid, which was devastating for me,” said Mardirosian. “When I go to tournaments, I feel so lucky to be there. I spent so long missing out on this sport, and now I finally get to be back so I’m really enjoying my time.”